January 19, 2019, 11:10:32 AM

Author Topic: HLDJ Installing/Converting and ripping  (Read 7410 times)

Offline NedStar

• Administrator
  • King Leonidas
    • View Profile
    • http://www.theicecave.net
HLDJ Installing/Converting and ripping
« on: October 26, 2008, 03:49:19 PM »
Although this tutorial applies for ZM, the basics are pretty much the same for any third party mod.
The HLDJ site already has a great tutorial  but a lot of people seem to make a mistake on the settings part so I decided to do a simple tutorial on how to get HLDJ working and how to start converting your songs into a hl2 compatible format.

HLDJ:

Step 1:

First we start of by getting the program itself:

http://www.hldj.org/downloads.html

I assume this part is pretty straight forward, first grab v.1.4.5 and then v.1.4.7.  Extract v.1.4.5 anywhere but the steam folder, no just kidding just extract it somewhere you like.
After that place the hldj_1.4.07.exe in the same folder.

Double click the .exe.

Step 2:

It should now give you a pop up where its asking you to run a first time setup, click YES.

It will now ask if you want to add all of your games, click yes again.
You should now get the following pop up:

Fill in any name you want for game name.
Engine must be SOURCE.
Play audio key is the key you use to play wav's (Pick something you don't use in-game)
Game directory should be your path to zombie_master: yourdir:SteamsteamappsSourceModszombie_master
Audio directory is the location where it reads all your wav files from.

Now click advanced:

This is the part where most people go wrong, I suggest leaving all settings on default besides *use alternate game audio directory*, enable it.
Now click the map icon, this should link to your source sdk base directory: yourdir:Steamsteamappsyourusernamesource sdk base.

It should now look somewhat like this:

You are done now, all thats left to do is click OK

Step 3:

You will now see a shit load of other games being added, if you don't want this, click no when it asked to add all of your games.
Be sure to remove the other zombie_master that hldj added in scanning for other games or else you might end up using the wrong settings.
Once done click ok again.

Step 4:

It will now give you one last pop up *recommended options*

I personally find the Launch game application annoying so I disabled it myself, feel free to leave all these settings on default.
You are now done, all thats left to do is get some wav's before you can use the program. When you want to use hldj select zombie master in the game drop down menu and click play.

Converting Music

You will have to do this to convert mp3 or any other format into a wav format that source can understand, its very important you do this right or else you will get static/distortion or worse.

A program I highly recommend for this task is goldwave (<!-- m -->http://www.goldwave.com/release.php<!-- m -->) its a shareware audio editor which will work fine for your basic editing.

Step 1:

Assuming you've installed the program. We start of by converting a simple mp3. Click file > open > select any song you want to convert. It will now process the audio file, this shouldn't take very long.

Step 2:

After your song is loaded it will need some optimizing in order to make it sound good in source. To do this click effect > filter > equalizer. After the window has opened go to presets and select reduce bass from the drop down menu. Now you will also have to reduce the DB a bit, this highly depends on the song in question, a loud song needs more DB reduction and a more silent song would need less. In the end its better to have too little DB then too much. For my song which quite a quiet song I pick -4 DB. Click OK. Your song will now be processing, this will take a moment. Note -4 DB is usually way too little, for most normal songs -15 or -12 DB will do fine, for classic and the likes -4 DB to -7 DB

Step 3:

It will now look something like this:

This is a pretty good line for any song, if yours is somewhere near this it will probably sound great in-game.

Step 4:

Effects > re sample > pick 11025 in the drop down menu. Click OK, it might give you a warning but you can ignore this.

All thats left to do now is save it, file > save as a wav file and pcm signed 16 bit mono > save it in the hldj audio directory.

Thats it your done !, now launch HLDJ pick Zombie Master and click start. Once in-game open up your console and type la. You will now probably see 1 song and a number in front of it. Type the number of your song in your console and it will load your song. Now go in to a server and click your broadcast button you've set in HLDJ and enjoy ! Keep in mind that you always have decent quality music (you can hear the music yourself so if its shit, by all means stop it) There are other programs like HLSS and output to input which I both will not discuss in here. HLSS is easier then HLDJ but more limited while output to input takes more technical skill.

If you got no console be sure to enable it in settings > advanced > enable dev console>

Additional info:

Batch converting

Goldwave also has the option to do a batch convert, this will allow you to select any of your music folder/files and globally convert all of your songs, while this might not be as good as converting each file one by one as you will pick one -DB setting for all songs, its fast and does the job very well. Besides you could always convert songs in themes like classic/rock etc.
I'm not sure if the shareware edition of goldwave has this option, if not I'm sure you will find a way to get a registered version of goldwave.

Step 1:

Effect > filter > Equalizer, now select reduce DB and do about -15 DB. I use this for globally converting all songs, some songs may end up a bit on the silent side but overall most songs will sound great without completely killing the in-game sounds. Now click the + button, it will ask if you want to overwrite your current settings. Once again click yes (I've yet to find a way to add a new preset) Click OK.

Step 2:

File > Batch Process.  Use the following settings from the picture (below), use add files or add folder to select the stuff you want to convert.
Now to go process > add effects > goldwave > equalizer > reduce bass > add > close. For folder store all files in hldjaudio.
Now click begin and it will start converting all your songs to the right format without having to do a thing ! This will probably take a while depending on how much songs you picked.

Recording output

Now I'll teach you how to rip music from youtube or any other thing you hear. Basically it records what you hear.

For vista right click the speaker icon in your bottom right, go to recording devices then right click again and click show disabled devices. Now find "stereo mix" or "what you hear"
Right click on it and click set as default device (this might not be needed but it will make sure its working)

For XP also click the speaker icon in your bottom right, I sadly don't got an English version of XP installed but I'll try to be as precise as possible. Once open go to options > properties > mixdevices > your device audio input > enable "stereo mix" or "what you hear" and click OK. Disable MUTE from "stereo mix" or "what you hear"

Now go to goldwave again or any other recording program. For goldwave click > new pick 10 minutes or w/e you want (be sure its long enough) and hit OK. Now go to youtube or w/e you want to record, hit the record button and you should see it recording, if you see no lines something is wrong. Once done you can convert it to a wav format for HLDJ.
Keep in mind that it will record exactly EVERYTHING you hear so you might want to disable steam (bleep BLEEP BLEEP !) Some cards will also record your mic so you might want to put it on mute.

Once you are done recording I heavily suggest putting the settings back on default, for xp it won't matter much if I recall right. For vista however if you have set it on "default device" it will overwrite your mic in a lot of games/programs.

Note. Some cards don't support the *what you hear* or *stereo mix* option, updating your drivers might help in-case you don't see any of them.

Hope this tutorial has helped some, feel free to ask any questions in this topic.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2010, 03:29:51 PM by NedStar »

Wiiking: If I ran into him in the aftermath of the inevitable all-consuming nuclear war, I would just shoot him to avoid further drama.

Offline Doom

• Kane's Right Hand
    • View Profile
Re: HLDJ Installing/Converting and ripping
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2008, 04:36:24 PM »
Good tutorial. Did you make it?

Offline chaosandwalls PHI

• Ex Server Admin
  • Castor Troy
    • View Profile
    • http://walls-ofchaos.myminicity.com
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2008, 04:40:59 PM »
Methinks ned has too much spare time.

NedStar|Cryo|: Chicken is not a bird last I checked
GotNoodles?|Cryo|: if chaos posts Auto Fellatio - (link) i would click it

Offline lolomgwtfNL

• Ex Server Admin
  • Castor Troy
  • Use snipers.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2008, 04:55:15 PM »
methinks ned hates earrapesongs.
Medals are life

Offline Rikimaru

• Ex Server Admin
  • Castor Troy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2008, 05:24:39 PM »
methinks that Ned is a creator of the good music shizzle :P

Sometimes The Things Worth Dying For Are The Things Worth Living For.

Quote from: \"ChanChan |iced|\"
0:06 - ChanChan |Iced|: I\'D FUCK THE GIRL!

Offline NedStar

• Administrator
  • King Leonidas
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2008, 05:40:16 PM »
Quote from: "Doom"
Good tutorial. Did you make it?

Yes I did.

Wiiking: If I ran into him in the aftermath of the inevitable all-consuming nuclear war, I would just shoot him to avoid further drama.

Offline Eaglas

• Ex Server Admin
  • Castor Troy
  • Forum Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2008, 06:57:20 PM »
nice tut ned :D

• Ex Server Admin
  • Castor Troy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2008, 09:04:33 PM »
BTW if you dont want to mess around with recording stuff, you can get sound off a youtube video by http://www.vidtomp3.com/

Offline Slayer_NL

• Server Admin
  • Zombie Slaughter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2008, 09:38:57 PM »
Nice now the only thing you have to do is spam the link instead of explaining people how to use ingame music.
NedStar|Iced|: I swallow big things!

AKA Ricardo|Cryo|

Offline NedStar

• Administrator
  • King Leonidas
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2008, 11:01:18 PM »
Quote from: "chaosandwalls PHI"
BTW if you dont want to mess around with recording stuff, you can get sound off a youtube video by http://www.vidtomp3.com/

Seems useful although this option allows a lot more this could be useful for youtube

Quote from: "Slayer_NL"
Nice now the only thing you have to do is spam the link instead of explaining people how to use ingame music.

INDEED !

• Ex Server Admin
  • Castor Troy
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2008, 04:45:50 PM »
The recording stuff doesn't work to me. It justs kinda records flickery cracky shit

Offline NedStar

• Administrator
  • King Leonidas
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2008, 12:51:21 PM »
Using vista I assume ?

Also do the bars move of stereo mix or what you hear when in the sound control panel.

• Ex Server Admin
  • Castor Troy
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2008, 04:00:47 PM »
yeah, and bars sorta appear in Goldwave.

Offline NedStar

• Administrator
  • King Leonidas
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2008, 09:29:45 PM »
You sure its not your mic that your recording ?

• Ex Server Admin
  • Castor Troy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2008, 04:43:33 PM »
No mic plugged in, and the bars only appear in goldwave when something is playing