November 13, 2018, 04:03:00 PM

Author Topic: Current toughts about minecraft server  (Read 2393 times)

Offline Palooder

• so i herd u liek derp
    • View Profile
Current toughts about minecraft server
« on: January 08, 2011, 12:17:52 AM »
First off, I'm happy that we finally have a Minecraft server, and that things are going well so far.

I've noticed that we have quite a handfull of admins now for a server with about 12(?) people playing, and so far only one griefing incident has happened.
Though, I am quite unhappy about the fact that they use their powers to spawn items instead of getting them like the average player on the server. So far I've seen giant underwater bases, golden castles, enormous railways and statues made out of diamond blocks, and there is no way any player could've build that in the little time the server has been online without admin powers.

I proposed Ned in the chat to make the spawn command available for every regular, though we got kits wich is great aswell, but the 5 minute cooldown is not much of an improvement. Regarding stone and cobblestone, I could simply use /home and mine the same amount that we recieve (4 full stacks?) in 5 minutes with anything better then a iron pickaxe, the railkit on the otherhand is quite handy since we won't have to spend a gigantic amount of iron to get atleast two chunks far.

I found it quite uncalled for asking this in the chat after we got the kits, therefor I made a forum thread so the rest can read this aswell.
I'm sure that more then half of the regulars will agree on this hence the constant requests of materials on the server.

TL;DR: Suggesting that admins either lose the advantage of spawning items or regulars get the advantage of spawning items.

Offline Fatal

• Server Admin
  • Respected Member
    • View Profile
Re: Current toughts about minecraft server
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2011, 08:14:55 AM »
I agree maybe we went a little wild with some of the spawning, the only thing I really spawned was stuff to build the railway, and a few diamond blocks to make the center look nice

No way I could have built that railway without spawning items, well over a thousand rail pieces and probably about 50 golden blocks powering it all

I don't know about having regulars being able to spawn items so freely but I do agree somewhat that things should be spawned in moderation

Offline Palooder

• so i herd u liek derp
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2011, 12:40:58 PM »
Never give regulars the ability to spawn things, not only does that ruin the fun of getting all the items bad things can happen from it; It only takes one or two greifers with those powers to ruin everything.

The reason admins still get to have it is becuase they have to make things like the spawn point and such, after that they shouldnt use it.

I'm quite sure that none of the regulars that are in the chat very often will use it to grief.
Besides, with the recent town mod that has been added, griefing is almost impossible.

I never stated that ned should give it to every random guy that plays on the server for 10 hours. Besides, he can disable things like TNT, lava and water for us.

If there are important places to be build, such as a spawnpoint, Ned is online almost every day.

My point still stands, In my opinion, everyone should have the same advantage, admins should only be there to keep peace and order.

Offline Datastream

• Last Action Hero
  • Finally updated my account.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2011, 09:17:28 AM »
Also I'm very displeased over certain objects in Craftbook being disabled. I would've liked to make an Indiana Jones style entrance to protect my place real good. But MC1240 and MC1241 is restricted! Not good.

Also. Bridges do not work correctly when using redstone. Actually, they do not work at all when using redstone.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2011, 09:20:50 AM by Datastream »

Offline Fatal

• Server Admin
  • Respected Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2011, 05:19:28 PM »
They work properly with signs however, although I didn't make it there is a good example in diamond town, which has a working retractable bridge

Offline Datastream

• Last Action Hero
  • Finally updated my account.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2011, 07:06:34 PM »
I fixed mine now too.

If there is one thing that I have learned is that the logic gates and craftbook stuff is very unforgiving. The direction of the redstone is important. It has to be a line and not an angle. It has to come in from the back with all the logic gates etc etc. Like fuuuuu Y U SO HARD. In sp it's simpler.

Offline NedStar

• Administrator
  • King Leonidas
    • View Profile
    • http://www.theicecave.net
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2011, 09:40:59 PM »
I agree that its unfair for admins to spawn stuff and not allow others to do the same. I will however not give global access to "/give" as that's easy to abuse.
I'll be adding kits of every item that I deem not hazardous and considerably lower the cool-down.

edit*

Done

ps. In case there are any blocks you would like to see in a kit, then you can use this topic to do so.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2011, 12:43:31 AM by NedStar »

Wiiking: If I ran into him in the aftermath of the inevitable all-consuming nuclear war, I would just shoot him to avoid further drama.