June 24, 2019, 03:35:23 PM

Author Topic: New Voice System  (Read 4138 times)

Offline LukeyxD

• Respected Member
    • View Profile
New Voice System
« on: July 07, 2010, 06:00:35 PM »
This new system decreases the skill it takes to play traitor, by removing the ability to actually NEED coordination and a sense of who to stab or shoot first. Now its just "He's far away lets twat him first." Before TTT was all about being tactical as the traitor and innocent , watching people who are suspicous reporting to the others what you see and think and when your traitor, stabbing or shooting the person who wandered away: Risking a miss and a spam of "ITS <INSERT YOUR NAME HERE>!" Lets say you miss, he screams "ITS YOU!" and starts spamming your name. Before this means, stab or shoot the bastard and run away from everyone you see, now it means this person is now unheard because he is too far away, he is dead. This creates convenient excuses for every traitor out there,
"What? I couldnt hear you. I was too far away." This will be viable in the first few weeks and soon it will become tired and a obvious traitor move. Even if it is genuinely said chances are people will kill you because they think you are suspicous also creating a nice RDM excuse. "He said he couldnt hear us! thats an obvious traitor move..."

Offline Datastream

• Last Action Hero
  • Finally updated my account.
    • View Profile
Re: New Voice System
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2010, 06:11:54 PM »
I think you're forgetting that chat isn't locational. Which means that everybody will now bind ttt_say suspect and ttt_say traitor to keys and spam those. And create binds like "I'm too far away for voice chat."
What I personally think, is that you will see a lot more chat spam going on. And everytime some uses a bind, that person uses the bind 3 times to make sure people read it. Except moonwulf, he does it 6 times in all caps. So now picture a server with 10 people in it. Everybody using their binds. Yeah...

I don't think this locational thing is going to work out.

Offline Xaymar

• Respected Member
    • View Profile
    • LevelNULL
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2010, 07:01:26 PM »
It doesnt work either. GM:PlayerCanHear(ply,ply) doesnt seem to have been hooked.

Offline NedStar

• Administrator
  • King Leonidas
    • View Profile
    • http://www.theicecave.net
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2010, 08:08:33 PM »
I think if it would also mumble text it would be a superb addition.

Wiiking: If I ran into him in the aftermath of the inevitable all-consuming nuclear war, I would just shoot him to avoid further drama.

Offline LukeyxD

• Respected Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2010, 08:17:35 PM »
Quote from: "NedStar"

I believe that voice range and text belong in RP which may I add isnt exactly based around action, TTT is fast paced and if people cant hear eachother then we might aswell just disable voice entirely.

Offline Mett-ic

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2010, 08:24:35 PM »
One reason it already makes sence is because any combat unit would be holding on to radios to talk to each other from a range.  Same for Traitor chat.
There, I signed up.  Where\'s my Snickers?

Offline W.S Wankhouse

• Zombie Slaughter
  • Schrödinger's catgirl
    • View Profile
    • Google
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2010, 08:25:23 PM »
Quote from: "LukeyxD"
Quote from: "NedStar"

I believe that voice range and text belong in RP which may I add isnt exactly based around action, TTT is fast paced and if people cant hear eachother then we might aswell just disable voice entirely.

This type of thing would really twist the game, the all everyone hears everyone everywhere is bit silly, and whole one mistake, and everything is coming down to you was very reason last words in chat were removed.
Think about it, you can mindfuck people to think they are last one left when it is not true, try to lure people out of voice range and kill them, and make whole new twist and experience when trying to find people to help you.
I personaly think it makes TTT more fun and changing experience than the TTT nowdays does.

I say keep it.
-ßЯҢ- drp: fun fact: we get 3,500,000 page views per month on tf2m
-ßЯҢ- drp: and half are from wilson refreshing

Offline BioTrooper

• View Profile
    • http://www.gib-clan.com/news.php
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2010, 08:30:42 PM »
In all Honesty The original Voice system was Unrealistic but at least i could see the name of the person talking :S!

Offline W.S Wankhouse

• Zombie Slaughter
  • Schrödinger's catgirl
    • View Profile
    • Google
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2010, 03:09:15 AM »
EDIT:

Actually, just remove it all together till it functions again.
-ßЯҢ- drp: fun fact: we get 3,500,000 page views per month on tf2m
-ßЯҢ- drp: and half are from wilson refreshing

Offline LukeyxD

• Respected Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2010, 07:06:56 AM »
Quote from: "Mett-ic"
One reason it already makes sence is because any combat unit would be holding on to radios to talk to each other from a range.  Same for Traitor chat.

When was this game about realism? Stabbing someone in the foot wouldnt kill them instantly and also poltergeists, newton launchers? I could go on.

Offline Datastream

• Last Action Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2010, 08:06:25 AM »
You forgot to mention the silence pistol which is pretty obvious imo. All a silencer does is bring the sound down with 3-5 dB or so and remove the muzzle flash. That's it.

So far the voice volume doesn't fade with it. So it doesn't work. Which is good because it keeps seriousness lower. Which I like.

Offline steel

• Respected Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2010, 05:32:08 PM »
the new voice system can die.

Or stay on rp.

Eithers fine aslong as we don't have it on ttt. I don't understand why you would want it. All it does it make the game feel stupid. Theres only so much realism you can apply to a game like ttt and fading voices isnt one of them. I like being able to talk to people on the other side of the map and co-ordinate with them.

Steel.

Offline Datastream

• Last Action Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2010, 05:57:03 PM »
Besides, when we as innocents know there are traitors among us and we go hunting for them. Don't you think we would grab headsets to keep in touch? Really...

Offline LukeyxD

• Respected Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2010, 07:16:37 AM »
Bump, whats the verdict ned?

Offline Datastream

• Last Action Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2010, 08:17:45 AM »