November 13, 2018, 04:03:25 PM

Author Topic: Haste Mode  (Read 5923 times)

Offline jhooven

• View Profile
Haste Mode
« on: May 18, 2010, 02:15:26 AM »
There are alot of mixed reactions regarding Haste mode, and I think someone said that Ned is looking for feedback. Have at it. Personally, I'm going with time share.

Offline W.S Wankhouse

• Zombie Slaughter
  • Schr÷dinger's catgirl
    • View Profile
    • Google
Re: Haste Mode
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2010, 04:24:41 AM »
Even tough the idea is great, whole Haste mode turn out to be nuisance and pain in the ass in the end.
The pressue traitors are now forced to work on has clearly lead to major drop in traitor wins, as traitors can't plan their moves for long and timer keeps just breathing into your neck half of the time.
Like darkfrost camping Enclave bunker, with the damn haste timer in our necks we failed to kill him as we had no time to plan ahead and make our move, same happend to other traitors as well.
Other problem that comes with this is that more and more newbies and just utterly confused as simple thing as timer is now something you need learn besides all other stuff and that will lead into more problems with newcomers.
Worst part of Haste is people still exploit it, as the timer flash between traitor and innocent time it is hard to still get it right.

After long TTT session yesterday, i say remove it, it end up begin just a nuisance forcing traitors from sneaky gameplay and rush for the kills to get time.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2010, 04:28:05 AM by W.S Wankhouse »
-▀ЯҢ- drp: fun fact: we get 3,500,000 page views per month on tf2m
-▀ЯҢ- drp: and half are from wilson refreshing

Offline Grim_2o0o

• Zombie Slaughter
  • Quite the homo ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2010, 06:42:25 AM »
I would say that I actually like it.
But maybe that's because I like pressure.

Because now I don't have to come up with so many excuses of why my Silenced pistol went off in someone's head.

Offline Fatal

• Server Admin
  • Respected Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2010, 07:05:18 AM »
Keep it forever, thats my vote right there

The traitors get plenty of time to kill everyone, I had no issues winning (or at least making a severe dent in the number of innocents before getting killed) in the given time, 5 minutes + 30 seconds for every kill works out at the same time you get anyway without the haste mode on a full server, it just forces traitors from spending 8-9 minutes doing fuck all to making them actually do something, it doesn't force them to rampage but it forces them to take action

The rounds are far more fun with haste mode, nothing is worse as innocent having to wait until the round is nearly over before the traitors do anything, people get bored and leave the server when that happens and that is something we don't want

Offline Datastream

• Last Action Hero
  • Finally updated my account.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2010, 08:39:36 AM »
I have to agree with Wilson. But if we must keep the mode on the server I say give a little more default time. Like 6 or 7 minutes instead of 5.

Offline MrLate;

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2010, 04:05:03 PM »
I have an improvement idea for haste mod.
+When innocents find a body, they should get +30 seconds to their clock too. Right now the clock is mostly useless for innocents.

Offline Datastream

• Last Action Hero
  • Finally updated my account.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2010, 04:09:56 PM »
That's a good one! Because I know that innocents don't get to see the extra time because that would indicate a dead guy but I think it would be fair to let them see the extra time given for the dead guy they just identified. Good one!

Offline chaosandwalls PHI

• Ex Server Admin
  • Castor Troy
    • View Profile
    • http://walls-ofchaos.myminicity.com
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2010, 10:16:07 AM »
It's interesting to see how much this has split opinions

NedStar|Cryo|: Chicken is not a bird last I checked
GotNoodles?|Cryo|: if chaos posts Auto Fellatio - (link) i would click it

Offline Fly

• Ex Server Admin
  • Last Action Hero
    • View Profile
    • http://www.theicecave.net
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2010, 01:55:26 PM »
I definitly support the haste mode. It makes the traitors less camping and more action based. You've got enough time to lay down a trap or to act insuspicious. It's a good addon to the server IMO :matrix

So I heard Britney Spears was looking for a drummer?

Offline Kurai Angelo

• Fresh Blood
    • View Profile
    • http://snipurl.com/xjovk
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2010, 03:43:14 PM »
I have mixed feelings about it. On the one hand i don't have an inherent problem with the idea behind it, i.e. forcing the traitors into taking action instead of camping for several minutes. I know that is the preferred tactic of some individuals. However I find, myself at least, sometimes making silly mistakes due to the pressure of the smaller amount of time traitors are given. I have, on several occasions, still found that I have to lead the way with the kills even with 3 traitors on my side because after 4 minutes no one has done anything.

Also, I do agree with the point that the innocents can feel a bit lost not knowing exactly how much time is remaining. For instance, 10 seconds could be remaining and they are forced into a fight with a traitor who has the advantage. However not knowing they only need survive for a few seconds they will most likely fight back instead of simply running.

Having said all that, for the most part, haste mode hasn't really hindered my gameplay all that much. Like I said there are the odd occasions where fellow traitors will still camp because thats just the way they play (albeit a very shit way to play!!!) So my opinion is that the Haste Mode matches should be a random occurance, maybe 1 in every 3 or 5 matches. And for normal matches the time limit should be lowered to around 10 minutes, just to give the traitors a bit more encouragement to get off their arses and feckin' do some killing!

Offline NedStar

• Administrator
  • King Leonidas
    • View Profile
    • http://www.theicecave.net
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2010, 04:00:05 PM »
However not knowing they only need survive for a few seconds they will most likely fight back instead of simply running.

This I actually find a good thing.

And for normal matches the time limit should be lowered to around 10 minutes, just to give the traitors a bit more encouragement to get off their arses and feckin' do some killing!

I've been considering this, however as you already pointed out when 3-4 traitors fail to kill anyone in 5 minutes they are seriously doing it wrong.

Wiiking: If I ran into him in the aftermath of the inevitable all-consuming nuclear war, I would just shoot him to avoid further drama.

Offline Kurai Angelo

• Fresh Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2010, 02:12:22 PM »
Quote from: "Dr. octagonapus"
I still dont get it :(

Awww :P have a little chat with Ned. I'm sure he'll tell you all about it XD

Quote from: "NedStar"

I've been considering this, however as you already pointed out when 3-4 traitors fail to kill anyone in 5 minutes they are seriously doing it wrong.

Agreed, but my point was more that some people just insist on taking FOREVER no matter how much time they're given. I mean, I'm sure you agree that there are situations where you have to let up on the killing after one or two kills because people are suspecting you too much to the point of stalking or constant testing and whatnot, and you would expect your traitor buddies to get on in the mean time.... But like I said some people just still sit around doing nothing.

As i said before, in theory this mode should force traitors to make a move more quickly. But occasionally it's putting a lot of pressure on the better players to act rashly. Not meaning to sound big headed when i say better players :P but I'm sure lots of people have had rounds where they've had to carry the team and make a very large percentage of kills by themselves.

Offline steel

• Respected Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2010, 02:53:28 PM »
Could we not just get BKU to code it so Moonwulf never gets traitor? That would solve the problem of traitors taking forever :P

Tbf, I actually like haste mode now but it is annoying not knowing how much time there is as innocent. I Like the idea of getting +30 seconds when you find a body, makes it more even and gives another reason for traitors to hide bodys and could potentially persuade innocents to leave their groups and go on body hunts.

Steel.

Offline Kurai Angelo

• Fresh Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2010, 04:09:59 PM »
Quote from: "steel"
Could we not just get BKU to code it so Moonwulf never gets traitor? That would solve the problem of traitors taking forever :P

This would solve so many problems.... ooor when he is traitor, you could make it so he can buy an infinite number of knives so he can get more than one kill!

Offline Darkfrost

• Ex Server Admin
  • Respected Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2010, 05:58:14 PM »
Keep haste on, it's awesome, but could we not get it so innocents can see the round time remaining, based on the number of IDENTIFIED innocents? This way we have a rough idea of when its gonna end atleast, and they cant tell when people were killed.
NedStar|Cryo|: and I only fucked a guy once
NedStar|Cryo|: Ever since then , I dislike guys who like leather!